Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Age approaches...

I realized today that I am almost twenty-four.

This was an interesting realization, because at my age, my mother had three children and was well-established in running her own home. Me, I am a workoholic, I definitely do not run my own home, and to me, kids are usually the whining, screaming, or crying noises I hear at stores. (Okay, while that statement is true, I really don't hate kids! Really.) Life seems to have taken forever to get to this point, yet has still gone by so fast. It feels like yesterday when I was standing in line to get my college ID picture taken, and that was nearly 6 years ago!

This looming agingness of mine seems to have made me pretty contemplative. For example, I was sad the other day, and someone very close to me had reminded me that this attitude can and will affect others, whether I mean it to or not. I thought, what? Let me be sad if I want! In essence, I still was acting like that whiny little kid. Things were not going my way and I figure, well, if I am upset enough, maybe things will? Who knows! Whatever the case it did not work, in fact quite the opposite happened.

I have been learning a great deal about what God requires of me with my attitude and my conduct. It has been a hard lesson to learn; quite humbling. Somehow I find myself trying to justify my thoughts and actions because of pain and heartache, because of fatigue or being over-occupied. I cannot blame other people for my actions, as I am responsible for them. I learn now, that no matter what I think I feel like doing, I must rise up and bless His name. It's not about me.

1 comment:

joanna lynn said...

When my mom was my age, she had been married for 6 years, was pregnant with her third child, and was a talented and resourceful homemaker. I'm still deciding what I want to be when I grow up :) You have such great insight into life, Monica, and your heart to follow God is so evident. Everyone carves their own path in life, ours may look different from those before us but if we're truly seeking God we'll always be right where we should be. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!